Saturday, November 8, 2008

Final Update

OK Folks, here is the final update on my Great Celtoberfest extravaganza.....

The final event of the month was Great Big Sea at the Fletcher Auditorium on 29 Oct. I knew that GBS had a devoted following, but I did not expect an almost sell out crowd. Especially on a Wednesday night. The concert was fantastic. GBS put on a lively and extremely entertaining show. Normally, I am not a big fan of the "talk" section of any concert, however, that night was an exception. There were a some good stories, one or two hilarious stories and a whole slew of one-liners. They played most of the current CD, Fortune's Favour, and a bunch of their favorites. Most of which I had actually heard before (Which is pretty good since I only heard about them, oh, about 8 - 9 months ago.). There were a couple of songs in there that I had not heard before, but the rest of the crowd knew them so I'll have to go look them up.

The only down side to the night was the venue. Fletcher auditorium is a wonderful facility; however, it is not the best place for this type of band. It is really, REALLY, hard to dance when you only have the space right in front of your seat. It is really hard NOT to dance to GBS. Do you see the problem? There was a lot of modified white-boy dancing going on there that night. Very humorous, except if you were one of those white boys trying to dance.

Just to recap.... band - perfect, vocals - supreme, acoustics/sound - wonderful, dance room - sucked.

No comments: