Thursday, November 20, 2008

Apple Cider

Well, My first attempt at making cider was less than successful. The results ranged from tolerable to horrible, depending on the bottle. It was strange to have such a wide variation between bottles from the same batch, but what can I say. I have managed to drink most of it, more or less, although I think the last few bottles may just get dumped.

I have just bottled a second batch. (yes, hope springs eternal) I started the fermentation on Sunday, so I knew I'd be bottling about this time. I didn't use any fresh apples, just fresh apple juice and some apple concentrate. I couldn't find any high acid concentrate (granny smith type) so I had to settle for regular old concentrate. I tasted some right out of the fermentor and it was OK. I'll let you know in a couple of days how this batch goes.

No comments: