Thursday, June 5, 2008

No Commute

I felt adventurous this morning. I decided to take the bus in to work. I had been looking to see if I could use the bus, but to say that it is inconvenient would be a stretch. While there are a couple of bus stops around my house, none of them go even remotely in the direction. (I have bus stops for 3 different bus systems within 0.5 mile of my house!) The best I could come up with is a 5 mile drive and then take a bus and a connecting bus to get to work. Total time around 1.5 hours. It looked plausible on paper, so I decided to give it a try. I got up early, got ready quickly and headed out to the bus stop I had selected. There was a small shopping center (grocery store, restaurants, etc) across the street from my a.m. stop (corner of Edwards Mill Rd and Duraleigh), so I would be in a good position when I left in the evening (easy right turn). I turned into the parking lot and what did I see, but a whole forest of signs stating "NO PARK AND RIDE TOWING ENFORCED". Not one sign, but signs on every single green area in the parking lot! I was not happy. Now I realize that the parking lot is private property and they can put whatever restrictions they want on it, but I would think that the grocery store would welcome park and ride folks. I mean, if you have to go to the grocery store after work, what better place than than one where you are? It's about as close to a captive audience as a grocery story is ever gonna get!

So here is the assignment students. Find a way to get from Buck Jones Rd in Raleigh to Brier Creek shopping center out by the airport using public transportation. You can find all the area's public transport schedules at GoTriangle.org . If anyone from Capital Area Transit (CAT), Cary Transit (C-Tran) or Triangle Transit (TTA) has an idea, I'd love to hear it.

Even if I had a much wider audience, I doubt I'd hear from them.........

No comments: