Monday, June 9, 2008

Houston, we have a commute.

Well, I don't think Houston really cares, but I was able to successfully use public transportation to get to work today. All in all, it went pretty well. The connection out was quick and easy. The return, however, needs a little fine tuning. I misjudged the bus time for my particular stop (all right, I got it all wrong) and ended up standing outside for about 1/2 an hour. Normally that would not be bad, but it was about 100 here in Raleigh today! Of course, since it is a new office park, there are no mature trees anywhere close by the bus stop. I did however, have my trusty umbrella, which works quite well as a sun shade.

The time involved is a lot more than it would be driving (not unusual) so I have some more "lifestyle readjusting" to work out so that I'm not wasting all that time on a bus. I already started packing my breakfast to eat once I get to work since I get there early. I may start packing my dinner also since I have about 1/2 hour after work before my bus leaves. I'm thinking about doing the once a week cooking thing and having the meals already packaged and ready to go. I've almost always got some crochet (and hopefully knit) project going that I can do on the bus. I already know from today's experience that I'm gonna have to keep the projects simple on the bus. There is a lot of shake, rattling and rolling going on with those buses.

My goal this week is to use the bus thru Thursday (I can't take it Friday, because Hercules Mulligan is playing Friday night at Tir Na Nog.) and then re-evaluate over the weekend to see what I wanna do in the future.

Just so that everyone knows, I am still not particularly happy with CAT, but I have to work with what I'm given. At least I'm using more of our tax money.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.