Sunday, June 29, 2008

latest projects

I've been working on some odds and ends this past week. I finished up some wash cloths and dish towels. They are bright sunny yellow and blue. However, I'm getting tired of working with cotton. after a cotton sweater, and a bunch of wash cloths and towels, I'm cottoned out. Its nice to work with cotton during the summer, but its not the easiest yarn for me to work with.

I've been practicing my knitting during my bus ride to/from work. I was working on a scarf. I figured "how hard can a scarf be?" It should be something I can work on easily on a bouncing bus. Well, I have ripped it apart and will be starting over. I've got the stitches down OK. My problem is with the end of the rows. The last stitches are always WAY to loose/big. I read somewhere that you can slip the first stitch in the row and that will solve the problem. Unfortunately, I went in the opposite direction. My end stitches became to tight. My scarf started looking decidedly "boatish". I may try slipping every other row. Hopefully, I'll find a happy medium. I was also using needles that were way to small, a problem I have with crochet also. I really need to learn to automatically go to the next size up whenever I start a project.

No comments: