Monday, July 2, 2007

Braces

I have decided to get braces on my teeth to correct some major overcrowding and crookedness. I didn't decide just now, its actually been a rather long drawn out affair. I contemplated, I hemmed and hawed, I talked to my mom. After much deliberation and my mom agreeing to pay for them, I made the decision to get braces.

I went to my friendly orthodontist for a preliminary check and the first thing she said was that the "preferred" treatment for my condition was surgical. I.E. they would break my jaw. It did not take to much thought to rule that option out. So I am now at the beginning of option two. I have already had 4 teeth removed. Yes, 4 teeth. I knew I was in trouble when the dentist extracting the teeth told me I had "really dense bone structure". Well, i made it thru the extractions with the usual and customary discomfort. After about a week, my jaw was pretty much back to normal.

I am now waiting for the bands to get put on my teeth next week. I had to go into the office today to have"spacers" put between my teeth. They look like tiny blue plastic washers. They went in OK. However, they are annoying as all get out. Imagine having 6 pieces of (insert food remnant of your choice) stuck between your teeth and NOT being able to get rid of them for a week and a half! I have had them in for not quite 12 hours and they are already driving me crazy. I keep telling myself that all of this is actually worth it. I'll let you know in 2 years.

A new mantra for me: I will look good with straight teeth. I WILL look good with straight teeth. I will LOOK good with straight teeth.

No comments: