Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Oh Noooooooo!

All that stuff I said before about my latin coming back to me? Well forget I said that! I got 19 pages into the text, yes 19, and became completely and totally lost. I could not rember any of the vocabulary, none of the declensions and could not rember what the dative case was used for. I had to scrap everything and start over from scratch. This time, I have taken things a little slower and I am actually writing (yuck) stuff down to help me remember. The keyboard sure is quicker, but the information does not travel from the keys to my brain the same way information travels from the pen to my brain.

It would be interesting to see if anyone has done a study about that. Is there a difference in the retention of information that is hand written versus typed? If there is one, I bet you would find a big age difference between "computer babies" and "pre-computer babies". That is people who had/use computers at a very early age would probably retain information better that they type in versus us "older" folks that didn't really use computers until college or late high school. Since computers were just entering the high schools when I was a junior/senior, I am probably about the last generation that had to take notes completely by hand. Heck, we still had typing class! With typewriters!!!!! We were such philistines.

No comments: