Monday, March 24, 2008

Poetry

Yes, poetry. I have decided to work on one of my "Things To Do". Especially since learning Latin is not going very well. So I settled on poetry as my next attempt. I figured "how hard can it really be"? Come on folks, they are only words.

Oh how wrong I was. I should have known that since I am not the best writer to begin with that it would be a lot more difficult than I thought. I did figure that one of my strong points would be my vocabulary. Mine is slightly larger than a lot of other people's. It is still not great, but I do know what copacetic means. Unfortunately, all those 50 cent words don't seem to come to mind when I could really use them. It doesn't help that, like most people my age, I was so traumatized by High School English classes, that it is a wonder I enjoy reading anything at all and even more amazing that I am willing to try writing something. That, however, is a subject for some other posting. It is amazing how I can have all of these thoughts racing around my head until I pick up a pen. Once that pen is in my hand, all the wonderful ideas I had dive for cover in the deepest, darkest corners of my brain and refuse to come back out and play. I end up having to grope through all the dusty crevices in my gray matter to find those @#^&%$$# ideas.

So, I have been working on this for about 2 weeks now. I've done some research on writing poetry. I've been reading bits and pieces. I scribbled down nonsense lines, I've even come up with a few that may even be tolerable. So, folks, y'all get to be my guinea pigs. I've included my first poem below. Let me know what ya think about it. Keep in mind, I'm a newbie.......

The Beach House

A Saturday drive.
Quickly,
Unpack the car.
To reach the prize,
The first Corona!

The sand, sun, shade and heat,
A porch around the house,
A racetrack made for little feet,
A path to our paradise.

The Matriarch sitting on her throne,
Watches her domain.
Dolphins and pelicans bring the news
Of children below.

Alex, raging, held at bay,
Wind harnessed by towels and skateboards,
Power transmuted to race around the deck,
An afternoon reading and playing games.

Dolphins during the day,
Fireworks at night,
Waterfights in the dinning room:
The kids better behaved than us.

No comments: