Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Saga of the Braces Continues

It's been a while since I talked about the trials and tribulations of my orthodontically challenged teeth. Everything has been going pretty well so far, it really is quite amazing how quickly my teeth are moving around. It has gotten into a pretty boring routine. Every couple of weeks I go into the office and I get new wires and "chains" (they are plastic links that go between the teeth; no more rubber bands). My teeth immediately start to hurt all over again. They hurt for a couple of weeks and then settle down just in time to start everything all over again. A nice routine, until this past appointment. The orthodontist told me I needed to go to an oral surgeon to have some work done on my lower front gums. I need more support so that the four front teeth could be moved forward. Yeah, more fun!

Well, I had my surgery on Wednesday. I took the day off because I knew I wouldn't want to go back to work afterwards. My appointment was at 11:30. I got there a little early, just in case I had to do any extra paperwork. Luckily, I didn't. I was called back right around 1130; I thought this was going to be a really quick procedure. WRONG! Well, not exactly wrong. The procedure was not particularly long. The long part was waiting for the blasted surgeon for about 45 minutes AFTER he had numbed me. I was just getting ready to tell the assistant that we needed to reschedule when the doctor had more time when he came back. The Doctor comes in and starts immediately to work. No "sorry for the wait", no explanation, no "how are you doing Mr Lemis", nothing. I've had quickies in the bushes that were more talkative.

Well, I finally got out of there at 130p. 2 hours for a procedure that probably should have only taken about an hour. I made a quick run to Wendy's for one of their "shakes" ( I'll remember the name in a minute) and headed on home. I slept for about 2 hours and then picked up prescriptions and headed back home. Last night was predictably horrible, but today was much better than I thought it would be. It was a little uncomfortable from time to time, but I didn't have anywhere near the problems talking on the phones all day that I thought I would. So far everything looks really good. The added graft to the front of my gums has filled out my chin a little. I like the way it looks now.

FROSTY!!!!!!!! thats the word! Told ya I'd remember.

No comments: