Sunday, February 24, 2008

Vacation!!!

Sorry for the delay in writing folks, but I was on vacation from 08 Feb to 16Feb. I took my yearly trip down to Key Colony Beach, Fl. Key Colony Beach is a small (very small) man-made island city in the Florida keys. The island was made about 50 years ago by dredging and filling in a shallow area just off shore of Marathon island. It is, understandably, mostly vacation homes. My mother and two of her best friends from High School have been renting a place down there for about the last 9 years. My trip this year was a little more eventful than usual, I was pick-pocketed. My wallet was stolen the first day I was down there. I had made the first of my two day trips to Key West and I was in one of the bars down there that evening when it was stolen. Luckily, I had planned on using my credit card for most things and did not have a lot of cash on me. Of course, I had to call up the credit card people and the bank people to cancel my cards. I also had to have my roommate FedEx my passport down to me so that I could get on the return flight. The rest of the week was relatively uneventful. What can you say about spending time with family and friends, having good food and wonderful weather?

Sunset Beach Club, Key Colony Beach, FL


The Memorial to the victims of the battleship Maine in the Key West Cemetery. The Maine exploded in Havana harbor in Feb of 1898 under suspicious circumstances. I do not believe the exact chain of events has ever been determined.


When I made my return plans, I was going to ride up with another friend to the Ft Lauderdale airport so I wouldn't have to pay for a bus up. My mom had said that Pat's plane was leaving in the mid afternoon. Well, he actually left around 12p and he had to have his car back by 1030a. My flight was not until 8p. Since I was in Ft Lauderdale, I decided to take the city bus out to the beaches. I was a little wary of doing this because I thought I'd have to do a lot of transfers and stuff. I had 1 transfer and it cost 2.50 each way. I spent the whole day on the beach. Just me and my luggage! I'm sure I looked like the best dressed homeless person around! Below is a sample of the scenery at the beach.



Sunset park at Key Colony Beach.

No comments: