Thursday, February 7, 2008

A Busy Weekend.

I didn't finish up my blog about last weekend. I know, its a little late, but at least the weekend hasn't rolled around again.
I covered Friday night in the previous post, so I am now on to Saturday night. The night started with dinner down at The Borough restaurant downtown. This was the first time either of us had been there. I had heard some good things about, so we decided to give it a try. I was very impressed when we entered, it has a very upscale yet comfy feeling to it. I was actually kinda expecting something a little more pretentious. I'm glad that was definitely not the case. I know the Marquise was happy with the place as soon as she saw that they had some Aussie wines. She ordered a burger for dinner and I got the meatball sub special. The Marquise really liked her burger. I, however, was not impressed with the sub special. The meatballs were bland and the marinara sauce was weak. They did have a killer chocolate dessert cocktail. The after dinner cocktail almost made up for dinner. I'll give them another try in the near future.
After dinner, the Marquise and I went over to the piano bar over at CCs. The wife of one of the Hercules Mulligan crew was performing there, Heather Patterson King. If I didn't like both of them so much, I would complain that its not fair that one family should have so much talent. Heather had sung some with the Mulligans, but she always held back, tried to blend in, that sort of stuff. I have to admit that from what I had heard there, I wasn't much impressed. It is frightening how wrong I can be sometimes. I was blown away from the first song she performed that night. She performed a mix of standards, blues, and some show tunes (it is a gay bar, after all). The music started at 10p and ended at 1a. I have to say, it was one of the most enjoyable evenings of music I have had in a long while.
I do need to mention the pianist there on Saturday, Jay wright. His talent is equally as impressive. Whenever Heather needed a short break, Jay was there to continue the entertainment. I have to admit, that my knowledge of the piano is pretty much limited to the "accompaniment" aspect. It was pretty much there to keep the chorus on pitch. It was a real eye-opener watching Jay perform. I found myself anticipating the portions of the songs where Jay could really let his talent shine. I certainly look forward to hearing him and Heather perform again.

No comments: