Sunday, July 27, 2008

One project done and Christmas comes early

Here is a picture of the socks I just finished. They are currently happily residing on my feet.


I have decided to make Christmas stockings for the family this year. I figured I'd better get started early or I'd be in big, BIG trouble. I have to have all the family presents done by Thanksgiving. One of the drawbacks with making your own Christmas gifts is you have to start the middle of summer. By the time Christmas actually gets here, I am so over it.

Below is my first attempt. It did not turn out quite as well as I wanted, so I have fiddled with my basic toe-up sock pattern to make the next one look more Christmas-stockingey. (the white really is not that blindingly white, it is actually a soft "winter white".) My local AC Moore store had a clearance on the Moda-Dea Jai Alai yarn (the furry stuff at the top of the stocking, for y'all non-yarn people). At 1.00 a skein, I couldn't pass it up; I bought 6 skeins. I may go back and get some more. The great part is that I actually went in there looking for materials for Christmas stockings. Normally when they have stuff on clearance, it's not anything I'm interested in. I'm thinking of making regular sized stockings for my family and then a bunch of mini stockings as Christmas ornaments for everyone else. I'll have to see how everything goes.

No comments: