Saturday, October 6, 2007

Bad Afternoon

Something happened yesterday that I thought would "never happen to me". I was helping a co-worker finish up his move. He just had a couple of things left to move and since I have my trusty little truck I agreed to help him. Well, we had just enough rain yesterday to make all the roads slick as sn**. There were accidents everywhere I turned as I tried to get to Craig's old place. I ended up having to go through town at 5p on a Friday evening. Needless to say, what should have been a 15 minute trip took almost 45. That, however, was not the "big story". Once I got there, Craig and I loaded up the truck with an entertainment stand, computer stand, a mattress and various other small stuff. The mattress and computer stand were tied down well and we thought the entertainment stand was OK. We were sooooooo wrong. I think I made it through 2 turns before the stand went ass over head and landed right smack dab in the middle of a 4 lane road. During rush hour! I stopped the truck in the middle of the road, ran around and pulled the stand out of the road to the corner and then quickly got back in my truck and found the closest place to pull over that was safe (a gas station). I have never had something like that fall out of the truck before. That stuff always happens to "other" people. Luckily, Craig wasn't too upset. He "said" he was thinking about getting a new entertainment center anyway. I am not sure if that was true or if he said it just to try to make me feel better.

No comments: