Sunday, September 9, 2007

Rugby

In yet another sign that my nearest and dearest friend is rubbing off on me, I took a little day trip yesterday. I went to Charlotte to see the Raleigh Kodiaks take on the Charlotte Royals. It was the first game of the season for each team and I thought my local team could use some support. I think there were three of us there that weren't directly related somehow to the team. The Royals, of course, had a much better turn out. We started out well, but we couldn't get the game going for us. The Royals had a really strong lead at the end of the first half. We made a good rally at the start of the second half, but again couldn't keep it going. If you hadn't guessed, the Royals won. Don't ask me the score, I'm still working out the basic ground rules. Hey, this is only my second game! Ever! Give me a break! I did notice one thing though. Even though rugby is predominately a running game, you cannot win without passing the ball. Kodiaks, y'all run well, y'all tackle well, y'all kick well. You don't pass very well.

You all played a game you love on an extremely hot day. You gave it your all. You are creating a fan. Thank you.

After the game, I went out looking for a bite to eat. I knew I was going to go out to the Eagle later that evening, so I started looking in that area. I found a really nice Irish pub called Murphy's Tavern. They have one of the best setups for a bar that I have ever seen. The main room is huge, with the bar off to one side and a stage up against one of the walls. You can see the stage from just about every place in the bar. I hope the management uses the facilities to their fullest. I had the shamrock calzone. (Yes, it is a little odd to have Italian food at an Irish tavern.) It was very good, but HUGE. It was large enough for two. They also have one heck of a good Hostess/Waitperson. Trina, you are the best.

After dinner, I had a couple of hours to kill before heading out to the Eagle, so I found a shady spot to park and snoozed in my truck. The Eagle was fun. Friendly men. Friendlier drunk men. Me in a kilt. You do the math. I knew I still had to drive home, so I limited my drinking considerably. But, oh, did the Blue Moon taste good. I left there at about 130 and drove about an hour and found a rest stop to catch a few zzzz's. After a good power nap, I was back on the road and home by 5.

No comments: