Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Winnie-the-Pooh

I just finished reading Winnie-The-Pooh by A A Milne. It is actually the first time I have read the book. I have seen the TV shows, but I have never actually read the book. I chose the book because it was on the MLA (Museum and Library Association) list of 100 top books to read. (There were actually about 14 books on my list I took to the library. Out of the 14 books on the list, there were only two available at the library.) Winnie-the-Pooh is as endearing as everyone says it is. It exudes wholesomeness. You feel like a kid again when you read the book. However, there was one thing about the book that I couldn't quite figure out. The whole time I was reading the book, I got the feeling that I was missing something. I felt like there was some hidden message in the book that I was missing. Have you ever walked in at the tail end of a funny story and everyone is laughing, but you have no idea what the heck is going on? That is how I felt when I was reading Pooh. Everyone was enjoying the "hidden" message, but I had no idea what was going on. I am going to have to see if anyone has dissected Pooh; maybe there are hidden thoughts and ideas in the stories. Did A A Milne have a agenda with Pooh, or is it just my own flights of fancy? If anyone out there has any leads, I'd appreciate hearing them.

No comments: