Monday, August 20, 2007

Back From The Beach

Well folks, I know its been awhile since my last post, but I have good reason, honestly. I was on vacation. And no, there was no easy Internet access. I went to the outerbanks of NC. Nags Head to be exact. In theory, they have free WIFI access throughout the town. Unfortunately, no one explained that to the cottage I was staying in. My computer could detect the signal, but it was to weak to do anything with. Oh well......
Except of the lack of Internet (actually not a big deal) the vacation was absolutely wonderful. The weather cooled off enough so that the days were warm and not hot and the nights were perfect sleeping weather. The surf was just enough so that most of the "big" people could enjoy themselves, but small enough so that we did not have to worry about all the "little" people. The water temperature was just warm enough so that you could stay in it all day if you wanted to. I was out there with most of my extended family and friends. There is nothing quite like breakfast for 20 or so people every morning! I did bring a couple of books and little projects to work on ( studying Latin), but didn't finish any of the books and did not even attempt to study Latin. I was the King of Doing Nothing.
One of the odd things about this year's beach week was that a niece and nephew both turned 21 this past year and both were present and accounted for. It is a little disconcerting when you have that first drink with a niece or nephew. I was happy to be able to share brew with them. It was a lot of fun to see people who were really enjoying their drinks simply because the "newness" hadn't worn off yet. Hopefully we old timers were able to show them that you really can have more fun when you drink responsibly. The old timers feeling, however, was not so much fun. It doesn't seem that long ago that both of these kids were scared to death of the ocean and would not even get close to the water. It seems like yesterday when I was carrying them out into the water because it was always over their heads. Oh well, what's one to do. Can't stop time.

No comments: