Thursday, October 9, 2008

Two Down

A great time was had by all over at Tir Na Nog last night. They had one of their kilt nights and a banner line-up of entertainers. The evening started off with My Three Kilts, a Goldsboro NC based (OK, Elroy based) band. They did a fantastic job. Since they knew they'd only have about an hour to perform, the picked all their top notch, up tempo numbers. There were a couple of times when they were actually going to fast. Rob (lead singer) must have been an auctioneer in a previous life. All three of them played great and Rob's vocals we some of his best I've heard. the next group up was the Wake and District Public Safety Pipe and Drums. They have improved dramatically since I last heard them. The last time I had heard them was shortly after they had formed. The difference between then and now is dramatic. If I remember right, they did 4 tunes; not a very long set but it certainly fit right in with the evening. The last band was Albannach. I saw them last weekend up in Virginia and was looking forward to seeing them again. Especially since they did so well up there. They performed superbly. I am still debating whether I like them more at outdoor venues or inside. When they are inside, it definitely gets a tad loud. When they are outside, the "quieter" tunes/songs get lost easily. The crowd grew dramatically throughout the night and the bar was packed for Albannach. Not a whole lotta room for dancing, but I kinda cleared a space for myself.

I have to give Tir Na Nog some time here. The staff did a great job last night. It is difficult for the waitstaff to be at the top of their game when the bar gets extremely crowded like last night, but the staff did a great job none-the-less. There was the expected wait to get drinks, but it was a lot shorter than I was actually prepared for. I also need to mention that the new sound equipment out there is much, much better than the old stuff. I know they have had it for several weeks now, but I think it took a little while for the sound guys to fine tune it. Last night sounded great.

(I think I got all the bands right in this post, unlike the previous post where I mixed up the Kildairs with Rathkeltair!)

No comments: